The NHBRC (National Home Builders Registration Council), by law, requires anyone in the home building business to be registered to it. NHBRC registration ensures they have access to funding from financial institutions, NHBRC home building materials, training programs and intervention by the NHBRC to maintain a positive working relationship between the client and builder
Below is a step-by-step guide on how you can easily register for NHBRC correctly and legitimately.
You will need to download the NHBRC application form on their website. The easiest way is to Google’ NHBRC Registration’, and it will give you your local website address of which you can use to download the form.
Complete the form and make sure you have the following in order before you can move on to step 3.
- Signed and completed the (AR003) form
- Valid (CIPC) Companies and Intellectual Property Commission registration certificate
- ID or Passport (certified) of all members/ partners/ directors/ trustees or sole proprietors of the business.
- Certified copies must not be more than three months old.
- If the person is not from the Country, then a certified copy of Passport or work permit is required.
- Applicants stamped letter from the Bank confirming bank details or a copy of cancelled Blank Cheque that is not older than three months.
- Proof of residence that’s not older than three months
- An original tax clearance copy
- A signed consent letter for a credit check
- Technical Manager appointment letter with confirmation of their technical ability and a written acceptance of his/her appointment (only required if the Technical Manager is not part of the managing members of Sole Trader or Company)
- A Notice of incorporation (PTY Only)
- A Certified copy of a shareholding certificate (PTY only)
- A Deed of trust or Trust Resolution (Trust only)
- A Partnership agreement letter certified copy (Partnership only)
- A Constitution of Co-operative limited to be supplied (Co-operative only)
After you’ve completed the form and have all required documents in order, then you will need to return the form to the nearest NHBRC Customer Care office. If you are not sure where that is, simply Google’ NHBRC local Customer Care Office’. It will show you the nearest one.
Step by 4:
Once you have submitted all the documents, you will be issued with Home Builders Manual Part 1, 2 & 3. You will need to study them to write the NHBRC test, which will be conducted from Monday to Friday, at your nearest NHBRC Customer Care Office.
Note: Only two attempts will allow builders to pass the NHBRC test within 30 days after paying the NHBRC test fee.
You will need to pay a once-off registration fee and an annual membership fee due every year (please Google for local rates). After you’ve completed all the payment fees, you must attend a Builders Induction Workshop (from Monday to Friday) at your nearest NHBRC Customer Care Office to confirm your application and receive the NHBRC registration certificate.
Once you received the NHBRC Registration Certificate, you have successfully followed this NHBRC step-by-step guide. You are now ready to start working and building those houses! You will find the correct NHBRC Bank Details on your local website or the local Customer Care Office. Make sure to study hard for the NHBRC test because it will save you money and time. Good luck!